Military Spouse Guides is exactly that...a one stop shop for all information regarding military spouses.

How to get a military dependent I.D. card

After your spouse joins the military, you will be able to get a military dependent I.D. card which will allow you to access military bases, use the BX and commissary, as well as get things like military discounts. This guide goes over everything you’ll need to know in order to get your military dependent I.D. card.

Step 1
You need to get a DD Form 1173 from your spouse or you will need your spouse to accompany you. If you were married before your spouse left for BMT, then he will need to take certified copies of your birth certificate, marriage license, social security card, and driver’s license with him. These documents will be necessary to enroll you in DEERS. Once you have been enrolled, he will mail you the DD Form 1173 and then it’s on you!

Step 2
Make an appointment at your nearest base. If you husband is in the Air Force, but your closest base is an Army post, that’s totally fine. To find your nearest military installation and make an appointment with their I.D. office, visit the RAPIDS Appointment Scheduler.

Step 3
Go to your appointment. Please don’t miss your appointment, at some bases it takes weeks to get another one. When you arrive at the base you may have to go to the visitor center or you may just have to show them the DD Form 1173 and a photo I.D. and you’re good to go. When you get to the I.D. office, you’ll sign in on a computer and wait for your name to be called.

Step 4
Get your new Dependent I.D. From what I’ve heard from other people, you may need 2 forms of I.D. with you, you may not. I think it really depends on the person working. I did not. Thankfully. Jeremy had all my second forms of I.D. Also, keep in mind you will be taking a picture at that time.

And that’s it! They’ll hand you your new I.D. card right then and there and you will officially be a military dependent. Good luck!